So I got a chance today to set the new tank on the bike. I knew that it wouldn’t be a direct fit being that its off a Honda XL250. I started chopping off the old tank mounting points on the frame, had to remove the upper motor mount bolts (will need a solution here yet) and moving the dual coils a bit lower.
With that done and few other minor tweaks we have a much better fit. Now to determine new mounting points, rear should be no problem but still not sure on the fronts. I do not want to do any welding or modifications with the tank if at all possible because it is so clean and original! Here are a few pics, the tank is just sitting here not mounted, so sorry its sits a little crooked. I cant say how excited I am, this is working out great and looks awesome!
Notice here the original rear mount for the tank is about 3-4″ further back. This will need to be removed and a moved up for the new mounting location. Also need to find a new location for the coils, there seems to be enough room further back under the tank but I will have to create some new mounting brackets.